Sunday, July 6, 2008

No Country for Young Men

Its human nature to be nostalgic. Its a common phenomenon among us social animals to praise the past, curse the present and the future is of course the future, who cares!!!!!But for a change this post is not in praise of the days gone by, nor am i trying to redicule the days spent in my beloved home town, but its just an effort to come in terms with the truth that under no practical circumstances I can go back and settle there. But to think of it, if anyone ever gives me an opportunity to go back and earn a decent living there would i take it? I am not sure what others would do, but i am not going back..this might come as a shock to many ardent shillong fans many among them are my friends, but yes i stand by my word and the truth is I dont intend to go back.


And the reason behind my decision is simple, shillong has nothing to offer w.r.t career...in short no future..i have spent the best days of life there among those pine trees,sweet oranges, the never ending drizzle ,those hide & seeks games, the fun and celebrations during the Pujas. But the reality is that those are long gone days never to come back. I would like that life to be carved into my heart & soul forever without the bitter realities of life. I cant imagine myself working there on a 9 to 5 job. Thats not my kind of a job. And whom do i report to ? to some junkie who has made it so far, thankfully due to some special policies and grants provided by our great Indian decision makers. A place where i need to rush back home before its dark or else you will see some worried faces back in there. No, this is ofcourse not my cup of tea and this is surely not where i wanna land up.

I truely believe each place is unique and is different in its own account. May be Shillong wasnt supposed to provide us with all the facilities and comforts in life, but it did prepare us for the future hardships in life and i am grateful for that. I am waiting eagerly for my vacations to commence, so that i can soon take that all too familiar path towards the "Scotland of the East". I need to savour the moment and joy that only the laid back life there can provide, but at the end the truth is, its "Not a Country for Young Men" and i will have to return.


1 comment:

Sunny said...

I like the honest and the straight forwardness , it does make a lot of sense :)